Things to know about FORTEO
- You can take FORTEO with or without food or drink.
- Do not freeze the FORTEO delivery device. Do not use FORTEO if it has been frozen. FORTEO should look clear and colorless. Do not use FORTEO if it has particles in it, or if it is cloudy or colored.
- Inject FORTEO right away after you take the delivery device out of the refrigerator. After each use, safely remove the needle, recap the delivery device, and put it back in the refrigerator right away.
- Inject FORTEO one time each day in your thigh or abdomen (lower stomach area). Talk to a healthcare provider about how to rotate injection sites.
- You can take FORTEO at any time of the day. To help you remember to take FORTEO, take it at about the same time each day.
- If you forget or cannot take FORTEO at your usual time, take it as soon as you can on that day. Do not take more than one injection in the same day.
- Do not use FORTEO after the expiration date printed on the delivery device and packaging.
- Throw away the FORTEO delivery device after 28 days even if it has medicine in it (see the User Manual).
- The FORTEO delivery device has enough medicine for 28 days. It is set to give a 20-microgram dose of medicine each day. Do not inject all the medicine in the FORTEO delivery device at any one time.
- If you take more FORTEO than prescribed, call your healthcare provider. If you take too much FORTEO, you may have nausea, vomiting, weakness, or dizziness.
- Do not transfer the medicine from the FORTEO delivery device to a syringe. This can result in taking the wrong dose of FORTEO.
- For information on disposal of your sharps (needles and delivery devices):
How do I travel with FORTEO?
For daily use, FORTEO should be refrigerated. When traveling and refrigeration is unavailable, the FORTEO delivery device can remain at room temperature conditions (77°F [25°C]) for up to a total of 36 hours per device. Pack the needles you'll need for your trip. Keep FORTEO with you when traveling to prevent it from being damaged, lost, or exposed to extreme temperatures. Do not put FORTEO in the trunk of a car or in checked baggage. Refrigerate FORTEO as soon as you arrive at your destination.
Traveling by air requires a few extra considerations. Remember, you have the right to bring medically necessary supplies on board a plane. Just follow these steps:
- Always carry a copy of your FORTEO prescription label, which is attached to your FORTEO delivery device box. You may be asked to verify that the FORTEO delivery device and needles belong to you.
- Make sure your needles are sealed and not attached to your FORTEO delivery device. (Some airlines may not allow you to bring unsealed needles onto a plane).
- Never check your FORTEO delivery device with your checked luggage. Always bring it with you onto the airplane as a carry-on, as the temperature in the checked luggage area is not always controlled and may become too hot or cold.
- At the security checkpoint, tell the security officers that you are carrying medication that you need to bring on board with you.
- It is okay to pass your FORTEO delivery device through a standard airport security scanner.
- Consult TSA for the latest guidance in traveling with medicine and needles. Visit the TSA Website or call the TSA Contact Center toll free at 1-866-289-9673.
- When traveling abroad with medication refer to the US Department of State Tips for Traveling Abroad website for guidelines.