Taking Your Daily Dose of FORTEO
FORTEO is injected in the thigh or abdomen, with the easy-to-use FORTEO Delivery Device. FORTEO must be injected. You cannot take FORTEO as a pill because your stomach would digest the medicine before it has a chance to work.
Before you try to inject FORTEO yourself, a healthcare provider should teach you how to use the FORTEO Delivery Device to give your injection the right way. You should also review the FORTEO Delivery Device User Manual and Demonstration Video.
The FORTEO Delivery Device
The FORTEO Delivery Device is easy to use.
The needle is significantly smaller than a typical flu shot needle.
The FORTEO Delivery Device
Watch this video to see, step-by-step, how to prepare and use your delivery device to administer FORTEO and help build new bone. To view this entire video, "Getting Started on FORTEO," click here.
How to Use FORTEO?
- Inject FORTEO one time each day in your thigh or abdomen (lower stomach area). Talk to a healthcare provider about how to rotate injection sites.
- You can take FORTEO with or without food or drink.
- The FORTEO Delivery Device has enough medicine for 28 days. It is set to give a 20-microgram dose of medicine each day. Do not inject all the medicine in the FORTEO Delivery Device at any one time.
- Do not transfer the medicine from the FORTEO Delivery Device to a syringe. This can result in taking the wrong dose of FORTEO. If you do not have pen needles to use with your FORTEO Delivery Device, talk with your healthcare provider.
- Do not freeze the FORTEO Delivery Device. Do not use FORTEO if it has been frozen.
- FORTEO should look clear and colorless. Do not use FORTEO if it has particles in it, or if it is cloudy or colored.
- Inject FORTEO right away after you take the delivery device out of the refrigerator.
- After each use, safely remove the needle, recap the delivery device, and put it back in the refrigerator right away.
- You can take FORTEO at any time of the day. To help you remember to take FORTEO, take it at about the same time each day.
- If you forget or cannot take FORTEO at your usual time, take it as soon as you can on that day. Do not take more than one injection in the same day.
- If you take more FORTEO than prescribed, call your healthcare provider. If you take too much FORTEO, you may have nausea, vomiting, weakness, or dizziness.
- Do not use FORTEO after the expiration date printed on the delivery device and packaging.
- Throw away the FORTEO Delivery Device after 28 days even if it has medicine in it (see the User Manual).
- For information on disposal of your sharps (needles and delivery devices), please see the sharps disposal brochure or call 1-800-LillyRx (1-800-545-5979).
Before you try to inject FORTEO yourself, a healthcare provider should teach you how to use the FORTEO Delivery Device to give your injection the right way.
If you've been prescribed FORTEO, it's important to remember that FORTEO Connect offers you a personal support specialist to help teach you how to inject yourself with FORTEO. You can also talk to your doctor about having a caregiver, such as a relative or neighbor, go through training with you to help with the injection.
The FORTEO Connect program was created to be there with you every step of the way. This complimentary service provides insurance specialists, treatment guidance, and one-on-one support for 24 months.
You should not take FORTEO for more than 2 years over your lifetime.
How to Store Your FORTEO Delivery Device
- Your FORTEO Delivery Device should be placed inside the FORTEO Storage Case and kept inside the refrigerator.
- The temperature should be 36°F to 46°F (2°C to 8°C).
- Do not freeze the delivery device, and don't use FORTEO if it has been frozen.
- After each use, safely remove the needle and recap the delivery device to protect it from physical damage and light.
- If the delivery device has been left out of the refrigerator for more than a few minutes or stored incorrectly, please call 1-866-4-FORTEO (1-866-436-7836).
The FORTEO Storage Case
Your FORTEO Storage Case keeps everything you need organized in one convenient place in your refrigerator. Your case includes:
- A place for your FORTEO Delivery Device.
- Tabs to track the total number of delivery devices you'll use during your entire course of treatment (up to a maximum of 24 months over your lifetime) with FORTEO—so you know where you stand in your
- Sunday through Saturday slots to organize needles for the upcoming week (the same way a weekly pillbox works).
- Storage for your needles (located behind the tabs).
Are You Caring for Someone on FORTEO?
Help empower your patient or loved one with your care and support. It'll help them along their journey. If they have concerns about injections, watch the FORTEO Delivery Device Demonstration Video and get support from FORTEO Connect. FORTEO Connect was created to be there with patients every step of the way.